A few of you who watch my Instagram stories have requested that I find a permanent place to keep my recipe for my special, “gourmet,” vegan dog food. So, here it is, for your reference, any time!
In addition to be super nutritious and delicious (yes I’ve tried it myself and it’s actually GREAT), this recipe works well for picky eaters, and also just to supplement your dog’s typical, everyday dry food (in my case, V-Dog brand). Whenever I board my dogs, I drop trays of this “special food” off with them as a treat, and it has helped them immensely with their separation anxiety– because they have learned to associate going to the boarders with getting their delicious “special food!”
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 jar of natural peanut butter (please make extra sure it contains no xylitol, as some “low fat” versions are starting to emerge with this ingredient, and it can be deadly to dogs!
- OPTIONAL: nutritional yeast, coconut oil
- Boil 6 cups of water in a large pot
- While waiting for water to boil, slice up the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes or chunks… add them to the pot
- Add the rice, quinoa, and lentils
- Once water is at a full boil, reduce heat to “low” and let simmer with a lid on, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes… Add more water as needed
- Once the potatoes are soft and mushy and the water is all soaked into the mixture, remove from heat. Use a fork to help stir and mash up the potatoes.
- Add the whole jar of peanut butter to the pot. Stir it into the mixture until completely blended. (Doing this while the mixture is still hot will help the peanut butter soften and blend.)
- Let cool!
- Put in dog’s bowl (amount needed will vary depending on dog’s weight… For my larger dogs, I give them about 2 cups each mealtime). Immediately before serving, I add a spoonful of coconut oil and approximately 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast to the mixture, and stir.
Kiss your pups for me, and enjoy!!!!