*** I need to start this post out by saying I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR DIETICIAN. I cannot speak to the soundness of my own regimen in an expert way. However, as a health-conscious person who is raising a plant-based fam, I get almost-daily questions about what I am taking/what the boys are taking to make sure we are getting everything we need– so I’m making a home for it here. I repeat: I am not an expert 🙂
*** For reference, River is almost 3 (omg!! My baby!!) and Koda is almost 1.5.
*** Final Note: In the past, I have linked to Amazon for this type of post because I want these products to be easily accessible for anyone. However, it has come to my attention that you really should avoid purchasing supplements (or baby formula!) on Amazon, for reasons pertaining to authenticity/quality/safety. So, while you can find the majority of these products on Amazon, my advice would be to purchase it from a more regulated site or the actual vendor; so, my links below are reflective of this.
- They take a daily, chewable multi-vitamin by NaturesPlus called Animal Parade. We like the assorted flavors to keep it fun and work on our colors. I like this multi because, in addition to the expected coverage (A, B, C, E, etc.) it does also meet 71% of their daily iron requirement, over 100% of their daily iodine requirement, and 67% of their daily D3 requirement. Iron is often left out of children’s multis, which I didn’t realize at first! Iodine is also important, especially for plant-based kids, which I didn’t learn until River was almost a year old. These vitamins are vegan, natural, and the boys are addicted to them! (I give River the vitamins whole, and I crush them up for Koda.)
- In addition to their multi, I add D3 drops in their drinks per day. This is the one we use. In the same drink, I add an omega/DHA drops for healthy brain development. This is the one we use.
- This is not really a “supplement” per se, but I wanted to note that we add a hefty spoonful or so of Braggs Nutritional Yeast to our kids’ meals, often. It has a cheesy/nutty flavor that kids (and I!) love, and is fortified with b12. We add it to their oatmeal, cereal, pasta… whatever! NOTE: not all brands of nutritional yeast are b12 fortified. Look for Braggs. We get ours at Whole Foods, but I’ll link it here as well.
- Every day I take the kids’ chewable multi with them! They love doing it with me, and hey, added benefits for me cannot hurt!
- Every day I also take:
- PMS relief Flo gummies (I take 2 per day and when my period rolls around, I notice that my symptoms (especially bloat and cramps) are noticeably less, and — weirdly– my period is lighter? A lighter period is not listed as a symptom that these gummies are supposed to relieve, but it’s something that I personally have noticed in the past 3 months of taking them, so i thought I would share. I got a discount code for this one (not affiliate, I don’t make money if you buy it but I hope it helps you!) — MOLLY10
- Omega-3 + DHA… This can reduce risk of heart disease, help maintain healthy brain function, and reduce joint pain.
- For dessert each night, I eat 4 little m&m-type candies that are actually supplements! They’re delicious, so I never forget– its become my favorite way to end my meals. I use my own discount code when I buy these 🙂 It’s FASHIONVEGGIE, so I hope that helps you. These are the products:
** Matt takes what I take, with the exception of the PMS relief Flo gummies! He also takes anti-inflammatory tumeric and such for his painful back disease, Ankylosing Spondilitis, and we both take daily, anti-inflammatory, full spectrum CBD drops to help with sleep, anxiety, and physical discomfort. You can read about those here if you’re interested.
Prenatal (I’m not taking this currently.. This is not a pregnancy announcement! Ha)
- With River, I took Rainbow Light prenatal, but for several reasons (they changed the formula, for one), I switched while pregnant with Koda. So, for pregnancy #2, I used (and do recommend) the Garden of Life MyKind Organics gummy by Alicia Silverstone. I didn’t feel nauseated when taking it, and it is the most natural one I could find. I took it in combination with a DHA, linked here, to support fetal brain + visual development.
That’s all, folks! I hope this was helpful, and I wish you health, happiness, and all the good things. xx, Molly